Thank you for viewing our website. Our Guidance Department has many services to offer as we help you and your student(s) navigate through the middle school. We enjoy getting to know the students on an individual level and in small groups during lunch. We meet with each team of teachers on a weekly basis to ensure we are meeting all of their needs. Please contact us with any questions or concerns about your child. We are dedicated to helping our students achieve success both in and out of the classroom.
Today’s middle school students are living in an exciting time, with an increasingly diverse society, new technologies and expanding opportunities. To help ensure that they are prepared to become the next generation of parents, workers, leaders, and citizens, every student needs support and guidance, during this time of fast growth and change. Middle school students face a variety of challenges, both personally and developmentally, that have an impact on their performance in school”www.schoolcounselor.org
Mrs. Kay Becker, Guidance Secretary
(330) 896-7730 firstname.lastname@example.org
Need help? Can't talk to anyone? Totally anonymous. Just text.
Role of the GMS School Counselor:
The professional school counselor holds a master’s degree and required state certification in school counseling. Maintaining certification includes on-going professional development to stay current with education reform and challenges facing today’s students. Middle school counselors enhance the learning process and promote academic achievement. Some examples of daily activities are:
- Collaborating and consulting with parents, teachers, administrators, students and the community.
- Meeting regularly with each team of teachers as well as other school personnel to help ensure healthy academic, social and emotional development.
- Providing individual and group counseling to help students achieve optimal personal growth, acquire positive social skills and values, set appropriate career goals and realize full academic potential
- Referring students and/or families to appropriate community agencies
- Creating the master schedule and assisting with grouping and placement of students in the correct academic classes for their needs through collaboration with the school psychologist, gifted coordinator, and teachers
- Coordinating district and school testing programs (standardized testing)