- Ohio law requires that all individuals have a baseline BCI and FBI criminal background check at the time they apply for their first Ohio educator license, certificate or permit, and those BCI and FBI background checks must be no older than one year (365 days) at the time they are used for initial licensure.
- If an individual then resides continuously in Ohio, he or she does not need to update the BCI background check, but must obtain an updated FBI check once every five years.
- If an individual lives outside Ohio at any time during the five years after obtaining a BCI check, then both background checks will need to be updated.
- This applies to all individuals holding a state of Ohio educator license, certificate or permit, including a non-tax certificate (no expiration date), a permanent certificate (no expiration date) and an 8-year professional certificate.
- The Ohio Department of Education requires that both background checks be completed through the National WebCheck electronic system. To locate a WebCheck site, please click this link.